If fitness works to get your body set, then MEDITATION works to get your mind set.
Physical and mental fitness play very important roles in our lives and people who are both, physically and mentally fit, live more productive lives.
One can even argue, it is just as important to have a fit mind, as it is, body. The best method to develop a fit mind is through meditation, and when you do it regularly and effective, you will get your mind set in no time! When you bring the active mind to stillness and tranquility, meditation relaxes the mind offering the meditator a unique concentration. During meditation, attention is focused on eliminating the stream of jumbled thoughts that may be crowding your mind and causing stress and/or anxiety. The practice of meditation comes with a variety of well-known health and mental benefits including better focus, decreased anxiety, and improving overall emotional well-being.
Even with all the incredible benefits of meditation, and although many try it at some point in their lives, only a small percentage actually stick with it and truly experience what it’s like to get your mind set. Most likely, this is due to the fact most beginners give up after struggling initially.
Enjoy these 10 recommendations to help you get past the initial hurdles and get the full benefits of meditation:
- MAKE TIME EACH DAY. The only way to get to the the next level in meditation is by setting aside a specific time each day to practice. At DEFINE living, we offer several classes throughout the day focused on a variety of intentions or goals.
- BREATHING DEEP. Breathing deep slows the heart rate, relaxes the muscles, and helps to focus and calm a busy mind. Of course, this will not be easy initially, but over time, you will be able to control your meditation efforts and practice them on your own when needed.
- LET GO. It is common for beginners to have a hard time quieting thoughts like: “what am I doing?” or “why can’t I just quiet my mind?” When this happens, as it inevitably will, try to really focus in on your deep breaths and let go of frustrated feelings.
- CHOOSE A SPECIAL SPACE. When you are unable to make it to DEFINE living, just make sure that the room you choose to meditate in is not an office, your bedroom, or an area that you regularly exercise in. It should be the same space each time and needs to be an area where you can truly relax.
- COMMIT. Meditation is a lifestyle, not a trend or fad, so in order for you to get the optimal results, you need to follow through and make it a habit.
- DO NOT DISTURB. It is critical that you remain undisturbed while in meditation. In fact, one of the biggest mistakes you can make initially is not taking steps to ensure a peaceful environment. If you are constantly having to worry about whether your cell will ring, the dog will bark, or friends will pop by unannounced, you’re not going to reach the state of deep relaxation to get your mind set.
- DON’T STRESS. Try not to stress no matter what happens during your meditation. Inevitably, something will probably go wrong and catch you off guard. The only way to deal with it and stay on track is to let it go. Do not dwell on stress. Focus on gratitude and good thoughts. Instead of stewing over what is bothering you, get to a positive mind by transitioning to feelings of gratefulness.
- DO IT WITH A PARTNER. Meditating with a partner or family member can have huge benefits, not the least of which is accountability. When you have a partner to meditate with you have someone with whom to discuss new strategies and struggles with. Like working out at a studio or gym, it’s always easier with a friend!
- EARLY BIRD GETS THE…ZEN. Without a doubt, early morning is the best time to practice meditation. The morning hours tend to be quieter, your mind is not filled with all your responsibilities for the day, and there’s far less chance you will be interrupted. Make a habit of getting up an hour or half an hour earlier to meditate, you won’t regret it.
- KEEP UP WITH IT. Meditation can seem like hard work, and you may feel like you’re just getting too busy and overwhelmed with daily life to continue. But it is precisely at this time that you will need meditation most. Reinvigorate yourself by reconnecting with the reasons that you started practicing meditation in the first place.
Meditation is a hugely beneficial practice, but it can be trying in the beginning. Use the simple tips described above to get started with meditation and in no time, you’ll “get your mind set!”
Vist DEFINE living to experience all things hip-zen at 2515 Morse Street, Houston, Texas!